Every birthday is another opportunity for change. Not sure what one I will make this year, but it has to be good. I need another week to regroup. But for now, I will have cake, and a vegan one at that.
My favorite cake is carrot, but I just made that in the beginning of the week so I decided to go with standard vanilla this time around. I had some pink and black icing in my fridge so, even though I hate pink, I need to use it up. I am posting the recipe along with the pics. Everyone could use a good vegan vanilla cake recipe in their stash and I love to share.
2 c. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp salt.
2 egg replacer equivalents ( 3 tsp cornstarch plus 4 tbsp. of water, or 3 tsp ener-g egg replace plus 4T of water, mixed and set aside)
2 c. ricemilk, or soy milk
3 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. veg oil
1/3 c. of vegan butter, softened (I use earth balance)
1 Tbsp of vanilla
1/2 c. vegan butter
1/2 c. veg shortening
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
4 c. confectioner's sugar, sifted
2-4 tbsp. water or non-dairy milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease 2 8-inch pans, or 3 6-inch round pans and flour, and set aside.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside.
4. Mix together the milk and vinegar and set aside for about 5 min.
5. Cream together the sugar, oil, butter and vanilla.
6. Add the egg replacer mix and blend well.
7. Add the milk mixture and mix at high speed. You will notice the mix looks kind of "frothy". This is ok and what it is supposed to look like.
8. Now slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until completed blended, about 2 minutes more.
9. Spread evenly in pans and bake 30-40 min depending on your oven. Cake is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove cakes from pans and cool for 5 minutes, then turn onto cooling racks and let cool completely before icing.
You may or may not have to torte the cakes before stacking and icing. With vegan cakes, there is generally very little doming that occurs so you may not have to torte them at all.
Ice and decorate as desired.
Vegan Buttercream Frosting
Cream together the butter and shortening. Add the vanilla and beat until well mixed. Slowly add the confectioners sugar until well blended. Icing will be stiff. Add in 2 tbsp. of water. Add additional water, 1 tbsp. at a time until desired consistency is reached. I prefer my icing to be on the medium stiff side (this means when I put my spatula in straight up it will lean slightly in the icing.)